Thursday, July 16, 2009

10 Must-Have Items!!!

I’ve had a few requests to talk about closet must-haves and staples that will get your wardrobe through the hot summer. It’s July already so we better get to it! These are not even necessarily JUST for summer. I like to have clothing that I can wear year-round. This is especially important these days, as we are all trying to save a few bucks.


The fashion “gurus” will tell you to make sure you have a little black dress, white blouse, trench coat, blah, blah, blah. Maybe I’m an enigma, but I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve worn a white blouse.  These are items that will always be classics, so they are always safe choices when building a wardrobe. But I’m going to put a few new must-have items to the test, and you can tell me what you think. (ok, most of them aren't so new)


  1. Neutrals - Try to find bottoms (pants, skirts, shorts, etc) in neutrals. Search until you find one of each that fits you as close to perfect as possible. These are the items that you will wear again and again, by pairing them with any and all kinds of tops.
  2. Dresses - The dress is back! And they are the easiest outfit to put together because you only have one piece to worry about. Find a style that accentuates your best features and buy the same style in all types of fabrics, prints and colors.
  3. Jeans - If you don’t already have a favorite pair of jeans that makes you look and feel FANTASTIC, it is time to face the music. I know it is a daunting task, but try and try again until you find the perfect pair. You will need one for every day wear (maybe a lighter wash) and one for dressier events (darker washes work better for evening and casual Fridays at work).
  4. Layering pieces - sleeveless shells can take you from summer to winter by layering blouses, sweaters, vests, jackets and belts on top of them. Find a couple in colors that you like and get a few that are neutral: gray, brown, black, navy or tan.
  5. Shoes - Well, duh, of course you need shoes! But how many (or how few) can you have and still have a pair for every situation? I would recommend five pairs as a start:  tennis shoes (pumas come in great colors, are cute and comfortable!);  pumps (when in doubt, go black);  flats (open toe for summer or slightly pointy for fall);  sandals (wedges, gladiators); dressy heels (don’t go for too comfortable here, just pick something in which you feel sassy).  
    Next 5 coming up soon!!!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent article! Great advice.

    Thanks!

    www.DougBrownDesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one I have a hard time with is jeans. I wish I could say I have a pair that I even remotely like, but I don't. I've heard it's best to spend the money on a really good pair, but then there is always that voice in my head that says I'm going to lose weight. : )

    Great list! Can't wait to see the other 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeans are definitely the Holy Grail of fashion for most women. Almost like trying on bathing suits, we dread the exhaustive search for that perfect pair of jeans. I don't think you get what you pay for when it comes to denim, and most of the "high fashion" jeans are not made to fit women over 35. The thigh area is TINY, the waistline is more like a buttline, and there is little to no give so you have to wear them every day until they mold to your shape and are comfortable.

    Some general rules that I follow are:
    1) watch for poorly placed "washed out" accents on the jean. You will see many jeans that are faded at the upper front leg or striped across the thigh. These are not flattering on those of us who are curvy. These lines will only highlight and even accentuate the thigh and hip. Also watch out for faded on the back rear of the jeans if you have junk in the trunk.
    2) Be careful of back pockets on jeans if you are hippy or have extra padding in the back. If the pockets lay flat without flaps, try them on and see what you think. Make sure the pockets don't sit too far from each other, as this will appear to stretch your rear. If you have no butt, pockets are a great way to add a little curve to your behind. Trust me!!
    3) Finally, don't settle. Even if you have tried on 45 pairs of jeans in one trip, don't just buy the ones that "will do." You want to be able to put them on and walk out the door feeling great. I really like trouser jeans. They are fairly easy to find a good fit and will work for many different occasions. I found a lighter color jean for every day wear. The length is long enough that I can wear a short heel, but short enough that I can wear flats. I've also been into very light colored denim, and FINALLY found a great pair at H&M that I love. They are 70s inspired, almost bell-bottomed with sailor side buttons at the waist. I plan to wear these into the fall.

    GOOD LUCK with your search!!!

    ReplyDelete