Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mini Tip

I was recently asked if I follow the one year rule with my clothes. That is, if you don't wear something for an entire year, it is probably time to get rid of it. I can't say that I follow this rule without exception, but I do believe it is a pretty good way to keep from becoming a pack rat, or hanging on to clothes that you will never wear.

When I get ready to spring clean and reorganize my closet, I have begun a new practice for weeding out pieces that I haven't worn in a long time. In my dresser drawers, I fold clothes in three piles:  "Sometimes," "Always," and "Never" wear.  The "Sometimes" and "Always" piles are clothes I know I wear and will keep. The "Never" pile are clothes that I probably wear once a year.  The rule is that I have to wear a piece from that stack of clothing every day for a week (or until I get through the stack). If I don't wear an item by the end of the stack, it has to go. 

Another new rule that I am attempting to follow:  If it is too big, take it to a tailor. Too small? Donate or consign.

No comments:

Post a Comment